I recently got my blood tested for food intolerances at whitelifenutrition.com. My results came back with a gluten and dairy intolerance, so with the new year came the new me! After cutting out my two favorite food groups, I’ve been on a mission to find out what restaurants, cafes and coffee shops cater to those with these special dietary restrictions. -Taryn Cox for THE WIFE
The following markets offer a multitude of gluten and dairy free products like Rudi’s gluten and dairy free bread, Glutino cereals, organic almond milk, and Daiya dairy free cheese.
- Erehwon: 7660 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90036, erewhonmarket.com
- Pam Mac D’s Glutten Free Market: 3516 West Magnolia Blvd, Burbank, California 91505, pammacds.com
- William Sonoma: For gourmet gluten free pancake, waffle, pie and pizza crust mixes. Also Bouchon Bakery gluten free cookie, muffin, cake and brownie mixes, visit williamsonoma.com for locations.
- Whole Foods: Visit wholefoodsmarket.com for locations.
- Addiction Bistro: Everything on their menu is available in as a gluten free option. Devour a variety of delicious options from gluten free corn muffins and pasta to hot dog and hamburger buns. Dont forget a scoop of their dairy free ice cream for dessert, 408 North La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90048
- A Votre Sante: A West Side favorite offering gluten free pancakes, dairy free egg white scrambles made with vegan cheese and gluten free pasta dishes. 13018 San Vicente Blvd, Brentwood, California 90049
- Bel Air Hotel: They cater to the gluten and dairy intolerant and can make anything on the menu to fit your needs. They even have gluten free breads and pizzas. 701 Stone Canyon Road, Bel Air, California 90077
- Cafe Gratitude: This famed vegan and raw restaurant has you covered! The majority of menu items don’t contain wheat, but the few that do can be made with a gluten free wrap in substitution, 639 North Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90004
- Catch: Santa Monica’s luxury sea side hotel, Casa del Mar has introduced an innovative gluten free menu on “Wheat less Wednesdays.” Casa Del Mar, 1910 Ocean Way, Santa Monica, California 90405
- Churchill: Perfect for weekend brunch, order their tasty breakfast sandwich or burger with no cheese on gluten free bread. Their gluten free french toast is another not to miss. 8384 West 3rd Street, West Hollywood, California 90048
- Craig’s: Craig’s most talked about dish happens to be gluten and dairy free… the spaghetti squash pasta primavera, 8826 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, California 90069
- EVO Kitchen: This restaurant has a universal menu that provides something for everyone, whether your a vegetarian, vegan, dairy or gluten free! Bonus everything is also local and organic! 7950 West Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90046
- Fig Restaurant: Located in the Fairmont Hotel and part of their lifestyle cuisine, they offer an abundance of menu items for gluten and dairy intolerant, 101 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, California 90401
- In and Out: Ask for your burger “protein style” (wrapped in lettuce) with no cheese and luckily their french fries are always gluten free! visit in-n-out.com for locations.
- Larchmont Bungalow: All sandwiches and burgers can be served with gluten free bread and flour tortillas can be switched out for corn tortillas. They also stock their restaurant with gluten free muffins and other pastries from Rising Hearts Bakery, 107 North Larchmont, Los Angeles, California 90004
- Le Pain Quotiden: They offer a gluten free version of their famed tartine’s on gluten free vegan crackers instead of bread. Also order the six-vegetable quiche served on a gluten free buckwheat crust, visit lepainquotidien.com for locations.
- M Cafe: Their morning pastry selection is free from eggs, dairy and refined sugar. Also they offer gluten free pancakes and brown rice tortilla wraps and burritos. Don’t miss the selection of Babycakes treats for dessert! visit mcafedechaya.com for locations.
- M.AK.E.: This is perhaps the best raw food restaurant in Los Angeles. This living food restaurant features a cutting edge based cuisine inspired by seasonal and local produce and always gluten and dairy free! “The Market” 395 Santa Monica Place #333, Santa Monica, California 90401
- Madeo: The best Italian restaurant in Los Angeles now offers gluten free pasta! Also don’t miss their gluten and dairy free seafood risotto! 8897 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90048
- Native Foods: This vegan restaurant offers different menus for gluten, wheat, soy and nut allergies making your ordering much easier. visit nativefoods.com for locations
- Osteria La Buca: This Italian eatery also serves gluten free pasta, 5210 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90038
- Real Food Daily: Another premiere all organic and vegan restaurant that offers gluten, nut and soy free menu options. Try the gluten free bread with sandwiches or burgers and gluten free waffles and desserts. visit realfood.com for locations.
- Rosa Mexicano: They will happily provide you with a special gluten free menu, making ordering easy! visit rosamexicano.com for locations
- True Food Kitchen: True Food is a restaurant based on Dr. Andrew Weil’s anti- inflammatory diet, pairing healthy foods with great flavors. Choose from many gluten free options marked on their menus, 395 Santa Monica Place #172, Santa Monica, California 90401
- Veggie Grill: Walk into any veggie grill and request a menu to fit your dietary restrictions. They will provide individual menus from gluten free, soy free, soy and wheat free and seed and nut free. Be sure to get the quinoa macaroni and cheese with dairy free cheese! visit www.veggiegrill.com for locations.
- Apollonia’s Pizzeria: Pizza’s available with gluten free crust and dairy free cheese, (although I would not recommend both at the same time), apolloniaspizzeria.com
- Domino’s Pizza: They now offer gluten free pizza crust, dominos.com
- Lucifer’s Pizza: So far I’ve heard Lucifer’s has the best gluten free pizza in town, luciferspizza.com
- Z Pizza: Pizza’s available with gluten free crust and vegan cheese, zpizza.com
- Breakaway Bakery: Baking up gluten free sweet treats and breads, 5264 West Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90019
- Rising Hearts Bakery: Every product that comes out of this bakery is gluten and dairy free as well as kosher. Pick from bagels, bread sticks, English muffins and more. Their fresh baked Millet bread is a favorite along with their delicious brownies! 10836 Washington Blvd, Culver City, California 90232
Desserts and Sweets:
- Babycakes: These sugary treats are hands down the best for anyone suffering from allergies. Cookies, brownies, doughnuts and cupcakes are all gluten, dairy, wheat, soy, egg, refined sugar free and vegan. Don’t miss the brownie cupcakes and cookie sandwiches. 236 North Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90004
- Beachy Cream: This West Side Ice Cream shop always has a gluten and dairy free ice cream flavor, perfect for hot Summer days. My favorite is Strawberry, which is also sold by the pint at Erewhon. 1209 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, California 90403
- Fonuts: The premiere gourmet doughnut shop offers up 10 gluten free donut flavors, 6 of which are also dairy free! 8104 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California, 90048
- ‘lette Macaroons: All of their macaroons are gluten free (except coffee flavor), Visit lettemacarons.com for locations.
- Sensitive Sweets: Located all the way in Huntington Beach, but worth the drive for their tasty donuts! All their products are gluten, dairy, wheat, soy, egg, nut free and vegan. 17431 Brookhurst Street, Huntington Beach, California 92708
- Sprinkles Cupcakes: The most famous cupcake shop now has vegan red velvet and gluten free red velvet cupcakes available. 9635 South Santa Monica Blvd, Beverly Hills, California 90210
- Sweet Rose Creamery: They make a few flavors that rotate throughout the week that are dairy free and delightful! 225 26th Street #51, Santa Monica, California 90402
- Yummi Cupcakes: This west side bakery serves up vegan cupcakes and have over 75 flavors for special order, visit yummycupcakes.com for locations.
The following coffee shops offer almond milk as an alternative to dairy and soy milk. Soy milk has been linked to many serious health problems. Click HERE to read about the dangers of soy on your body and why almond milk is a better choice. I’ve also found a lot of coffee shops use unsweetened almond milk, if that’s the case request a shot of vanilla to sweeten it up.
- Alfred Coffee: 8428 Melrose Place, Los Angeles, California 90069
- A Votre Sante: 13018 San Vicente Blvd, Brentwood, California 90049
- Bricks and Scones: 403 North Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, California, 90004
- Cafe Gratitude: 639 North Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, California 90004
- Churchill: 8384 West 3rd Street, West Hollywood, California 90048
- Farmshop: 225 26th Street, Santa Monica, California 90049
- Food + Lab: 7253 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, California 90046 (Best Almond Milk Hot Chocolate)
- Joans on Third: 8350 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, California 90048
- Jones Coffee Roasters: visit www.thebestcoffee.com for locations
- Huckleberry: 1014 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, California 90401
- Le Pain Qouitden: visit lepainquotidien.com for locations.
- Soho House West Hollywood: 9200 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, California 90069
- Urth Caffe: visit urthcaffe.com for locations.