These Strawberry Nutella Poptarts are a snap to put together and would make the perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast in bed for the kiddos…or your lover! --Thenovicechefblog.com
Strawberry Nutella Poptarts (Makes 6)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- 6 heaping teaspoons Nutella
- 6 heaping teaspoons strawberry jelly
- 2 large strawberries, sliced lengthwise and carved into hearts
- coarse sugar (or granulated sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and 1 teaspoon water. Set aside.
- Roll out pie crust till it’s pretty thin (about 1/16th of an inch thick). Cut into 2.5 inch x 3.5 inch rectangles, re-rolling the dough as needed. You should end up with 12 rectangles.
- Take 6 of the rectangles and cut out a heart in the center, using the strawberries carved into hearts as a guide. Set aside.
- On each of the 6 remaining rectangles, spread 1 heaping teaspoon of Nutella, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges. Then top the Nutella with a layer of strawberry jam, again making sure to leave a 1/2 inch border.
- Place a strawberry carved heart on top of the strawberry jam layer, in the center of the rectangle. Top with the pie dough with the heart carved out of the center.
- Seal the edges with the prongs of a fork and brush with egg wash mixture. Sprinkle heavily with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes and then serve! -Thenovicechefblog.com